You may realize that you don’t have enough bolts and need to order more. However, if you don’t know the size of the bolt this can be troublesome. Here is a quick guide to determining bolt size:
- Measure across the shank (shaft part). You will need the diameter. A grip or caliper can help for accuracy.
- Determine the thread pitch. All you need to do is count the threads in one inch of the shaft.
- Measure the full length of the shank. You will stop where it meets the head.
- Look at the shaft head to see what type of metal it is made from and the shape of the head (hex, carriage, etc.)
- Measure the thread length. This is the length of the thread on the shaft.
Contact Fasteners Inc. for all your DIY construction needs.